The combined BS in Materials Science and Engineering/MS in Materials Science and Engineering program allows students to earn a BS in Materials Science and Engineering and a MS in Materials Science and Engineering in a total of 5 years. Up to nine (9) semester credit hours of graduate courses at the ME 6000/7000 level may be double-counted and applied to both the BS and the MS degree requirements.
1. Completion of at least 75 semester credit hours towards BS degree.
2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4
3. Must be enrolled as a full-time student
Complete the Combined BS/MS Degree Program application and a graduate program of study.
The program educational objectives for the Materials Science and Engineering program are:
Objective 1: Be employed in the engineering profession or pursing graduate studies
Objective 2: Successfully compete in a globally integrated environment
Objective 3: Be engaged in life-long learning through continuing education and other avenues in a rapidly changing technical environment
BSMSE Program Learning Outcomes:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
MSMSE Program Learning Outcomes:
- Be able to think critically, creatively and have the ability to identify and solve problems in materials science and engineering (critical thinking and problem solving)
- Be able to pursue scholarship or creative endeavors, and conduct some degree of independent research (knowledge and scholarship)
- Be able to demonstrate attributes of professional development consistent with expectations within this discipline (professional development)
- Be able to effectively communicate scientific and engineering ideas and developments (communication)
- Demonstrate a mathematical competency above that of an undergraduate engineering student (math knowledge)
For additional information: