Candidates who complete the Teacher Leader, M.Ed program are eligible to complete the following course work towards additional licensure credentials:
Candidates seeking a Principal (Grades PK-6, 4-9, and/or 5-12) license must have a current permanent certificate or professional license, a minimum of two years successful classroom teaching experience under a permanent certificate or professional license, and a master’s degree in Educational Leadership or an advised equivalent. Candidates with an expired professional license must complete the renewal requirements for their license prior to the granting of the Principal license.
Upon successful completion of the Principalship Licensure program of study and passing the appropriate licensure exam, the holder of a current professional teaching license meeting the criteria detailed in the previous paragraph is eligible for a Principal license. Please consult with a licensure advisor in the college’s Office of Student Services for current testing information.
Principal licensure courses also may be taken as part of the Advanced Curriculum and Instruction Educational Specialist Degree (Ed.S.) program. See the Ed.S. program’s description for more details.
Successful completion of the principalship program meets the educational requirements for the Ohio Professional Administrator Principal License as regulated by the Ohio Department of Education.
Licensure and certification requirements vary from state to state, and we have not determined if this program meets educational requirements outside of Ohio. If you are planning to pursue professional licensure or certification in a state other than Ohio, please contact the appropriate licensing entity in that state to seek information and guidance regarding that state’s licensure or certification requirements.
- 3.0 Cumulative minimum GPA.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in educational leadership, educational administration, or an advised equivalent.
- Current teaching license.
- Minimum of two years successful classroom teaching.
Program-Level Student Learning Outcomes
- Principle graduates will be able to understand, demonstrate, and design a building-level mission, vision, and improvements
- Principle graduates will be able to understand and promote ethics and professional norms
- Principle graduates will be able to understand and demonstrate the capacity for equity, inclusiveness, and cultural responsiveness
- Principle graduates will be able to apply the knowledge, skills, and commitments necessary for coherent learning and instruction
- Principle graduates will be able to understand and demonstrate the capacity to promote community and external leadership
- Principle graduates will be able to understand and demonstrate the capacity to promote improvements in operations and management
- Principle graduates will be able to understand and build professional capacity
- Principle graduates will have successfully completed an internship in which they have had the opportunity to synthesize and apply knowledge
[Based on the National Educational Leadership Preparation Standards (2018)]
- Apply to Graduate School.
- Submit current teaching license with application.
- Submit three recommendation forms. At least one of these forms must be from a direct supervisor – principal, superintendent, or other school administrator. Please see the Graduate School application for the required two-page recommendation forms.
For additional information: